The VariCam 35 features superb image handling in multiple formats ranging from pristine 4K RAW to 4K, UHD, 2K, HD and ProRes capture formats making it an unparalleled tool for high-end filmmaking, commercials, episodic production and live 4K events. The VariCam 35 system includes AU-V35C1G s35mm 4k camera head, the AU-VREC1G recorder, AU-VCVF1G OLED viewfinder, and the AU-VSHL1G shoulder pad/tripod mount.
The VariCam 35 utilizes a new Panasonic super 35mm MOS sensor for 4096 x 2160 (17:9) 4K image capture; this imager when combined with the AVC-ULTRA codecs for 4K enables very manageable and practical 4K production file sizes. The new imager boasts an impressive 14+ stops of latitude, and faithfully captures high-contrast, wide dynamic range imagery without compromise.
The VariCam 35 offers a choice of codecs: the well-established Apple* ProRes 4444 and ProRes 422 and Panasonic's AVC-ULTRA family of advanced video codecs. The camera/recorder delivers an unprecedented breadth of recording formats, including 4K and UHD in AVC-ULTRA 4K, and 2K and 1080p HD in AVC-Intra 100/200** and ProRes.
Addressing the need for high-speed file exchange, the camera encodes a high-resolution 3.5Mbs proxy in parallel with 4K and 2K production formats, enabling fast, efficient offline editing. Metadata management will also be available and any metadata is written to all recording formats to enable easy match-back to high resolution or 4K master files.
The VariCam 35's In-Camera Grading feature is fully flexible, with the camera able to record an ungraded 4K master (with associated metadata grading information) and graded (baked in) HD image simultaneously. Powerful color management capabilities provide a much extended color gamut for impeccable image fidelity, and permit support for an Academy Color Encoding System (ACES) workflow for full fidelity mastering of original source material.
Varicam 35 Features:
- super 35mm MOS sensor for 4096 x 2160 (17:9) image capture.
- 14+ stops of latitude
- Standard 35mm PL mount.
- Apple* ProRes 4444 and ProRes 422 and Panasonic's AVC-ULTRA family of advanced video codecs.
- In-Camera Color Grading
- Dual Codec Recording -- Simultaneously records in two different formats, codecs and selectable from V-log/V-709/Grading
- Real-time, high frame rate, variable speed 4K recording up to 120fps
- Innovative removable control panel to facilitate real-time control and easy menu access when the camera is in a fixed or remote position.
- Production-tough aluminum alloy body to assure durability and reliability in the most challenging shooting locations.
- Newly-developed OLED electronic viewfinder (EVF) with optical zoom functionality.
- 24 bit/48 kHz, 4-channel LPCM audio for in-camera audio master recording.
- Built-in ND filters (0.6ND, 1.2ND, 1.8ND, CLEAR).
- Built-in low-pass filter tuned for 4K and UV/IR-cut filter.
- Equipped with a total of four memory card slots -- two for expressP2 cards and two for microP2 cards. The new 256Gbyte expressP2 card can record up to 90 minutes of 4K/4:2:2 content. The microP2 card is designed for recording HD or 2K at more typical production frame rates.
* The Apple ProRes format is licensed from Apple Inc.
** AVC-Intra200 is available only for FHD recording.